Primary Hub – Learn • Play • Grow
Academic Resource Portal for Primary Classes

🎵🎶 Indian Music & Dance

🎵🎶 Indian Music & Dance

Discover the musical instruments and folk dances of India!

🎼 Musical Instruments of India

🤔 How do musical instruments make different sounds?
  • Clap → Percussion (striking)
  • Hum/sing → Voice
  • Pluck a string → String instrument
  • Blow air → Wind instrument

Today we are going to identify Indian musical instruments just by listening to clues!

🎹 Harmonium
💨 Wind Instrument
🔍 "Instrument with keys that produces sound using air."
🧠 Memory: Keys + Air = Harmonium
🥁 Mridangam
👏 Percussion
🔍 "Percussion instrument used in Carnatic music."
🧠 Memory: Carnatic music + Drum = Mridangam
💧 Jal Tarang
👏 Percussion
🔍 "Set of bowls that create music with water."
🧠 Memory: Bowls + Water + Music = Jal Tarang
🪕 Sitar
🪕 String Instrument
🔍 "String instrument known for its soothing sound."
🧠 Memory: Strings + soothing music = Sitar
🎺 Shehnai
💨 Wind Instrument
🔍 "Wind instrument played during weddings."
🧠 Memory: Wedding + Wind = Shehnai
🎋 Bansuri
💨 Wind Instrument
🔍 "Wind instrument made of bamboo."
🧠 Memory: Bamboo + Wind = Bansuri
🎵 Three Types of Instruments:
💨 Wind → We use air (Harmonium, Shehnai, Bansuri) 🪕 String → We use strings (Sitar) 👏 Percussion → We strike/tap (Mridangam, Jal Tarang)

🎯 Guess the Instrument!

Read the clue and click to reveal the answer.

🌿 "I am made of bamboo and you blow air into me."
✅ Bansuri!
🎊 "I am played at many traditional weddings."
✅ Shehnai!
🎵 "I have strings and produce a soothing sound."
✅ Sitar!
🥁 "I am a percussion instrument used in Carnatic music."
✅ Mridangam!
💧 "I am made of bowls and water helps me produce different notes."
✅ Jal Tarang!
🎹 "I have keys and air helps me produce sound."
✅ Harmonium!

🔤 Unscramble Race!

Can you rearrange the letters to find the instrument name?

MONARUIMHHarmonium
AMNDGAMIRMridangam
ARJALANGJal Tarang
RASITSitar
SHINAEHIShehnai
UBANSIRBansuri

💃 Folk Dances of India

🤔 What is a folk dance?

A folk dance is a traditional dance of a particular community or region. People learn these dances from older generations and perform them during festivals and celebrations.

India has many states, and different regions have their own traditional dances. Let's go on a Dance Tour of India!

🟢 Assam
Bihu
Closely associated with festivals of Assam
🟠 Gujarat
Garba
Commonly seen during Navratri
🔵 Karnataka
Yakshagana
Traditional theatre with acting, dance, music & colourful costumes
🟣 Maharashtra
Lavani
Known for expressive & energetic movements
🟡 Punjab
Bhangra
Energetic dance, very popular!
🔴 Rajasthan
Kalbelia
Traditional dance of Rajasthan
🟢 Odisha + West Bengal + Jharkhand
Chhau
Dramatic movements and masks
🔵 Jammu & Kashmir
Rouf
Traditional dance of J&K
🟠 Haryana
Phag
Associated with spring and Holi celebrations
🇮🇳 State/Region 💃 Folk Dance
AssamBihu
GujaratGarba
KarnatakaYakshagana
MaharashtraLavani
PunjabBhangra
RajasthanKalbelia
Odisha, West Bengal & JharkhandChhau
Jammu & KashmirRouf
HaryanaPhag
🧠 Memory Pairs – Say them together!
Assam – Bihu Gujarat – Garba Karnataka – Yakshagana Maharashtra – Lavani Punjab – Bhangra Rajasthan – Kalbelia J&K – Rouf Haryana – Phag Odisha+WB+Jharkhand – Chhau

🎯 Dance Quiz – Can you answer?

Click each question to reveal the answer.

🟡 "I am in Punjab. Which dance should I learn?"
✅ Bhangra!
🟢 "I am visiting Assam during a festival. Which dance might I see?"
✅ Bihu!
🔴 "I am in Rajasthan. Which dance is associated with this state?"
✅ Kalbelia!
🟠 "I am in Gujarat. Which dance is famous here?"
✅ Garba!
🟢 "I am travelling through Odisha, West Bengal and Jharkhand. Which dance might I learn about?"
✅ Chhau!
🔵 "I am in Karnataka. Which traditional theatre dance is famous here?"
✅ Yakshagana!

💃 Let's Move!

Try these simple movements for each dance:

🟡 Bhangra → One energetic shoulder movement 🟠 Garba → Circular hand movement 🟢 Bihu → Simple rhythmic hand movement 🟣 Lavani → Graceful hand movement

Now shout a state and perform the associated movement!

⭐ Final Challenge

💭 "I am in Gujarat. Which dance should I learn?"
✅ Garba!
💭 "I am visiting Assam during a festival. Which dance might I see?"
✅ Bihu!
💭 "I am in Rajasthan. Which dance is associated with this state?"
✅ Kalbelia!
💭 "I am in Punjab. Which dance is famous here?"
✅ Bhangra!
💭 "I am travelling through Odisha, West Bengal and Jharkhand. Which dance might I learn about?"
✅ Chhau!
🌟 India is one country with many cultures, languages, festivals and dances –
and these differences make our cultural heritage rich and beautiful. 🌟

kvprimaryhub

Hello, and a heartfelt welcome to all! I’m [KAMAL MITROLIA], a proud educationist. This blog is a special corner of the internet where we can come together to celebrate the joys of learning, share valuable resources, and support each other in our educational journey. As a educationist, my greatest joy is seeing young minds light up with curiosity and understanding, and this blog is here to help spark that same excitement in every student and teacher at Vidyalaya. Whether you're here for fun activities, helpful tips, or just to stay connected with our wonderful school community, I hope you find something that inspires you. Let’s learn, grow, and create beautiful memories together!

Post a Comment

Please Select Embedded Mode To Show The Comment System.*

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form